Wednesday 28 October 2015

Glasgow - 1

 I was in Glasgow a week ago, on the class "getting to know you" trip (I have recently started the MA in Art & Research Collaboration programme through IADT Dún Laoghaire). I had the feet walked off me visiting art shows and artist studios over three days, but it was interesting and exhilarating. Every morning there was quite a fog, which burned off by the afternoon, so the weather was very pleasant and dry. Friday morning (Oct 16) was spent exploring the downtown area and soaking in the city atmosphere before meeting up with the group for our planned gallery visits. I am not sure if this photo gives a good enough indication of how hilly the streets are in the city, but they most certainly are steep!


One of the architectural features I thought very interesting was the street entrance stairs to buildings, almost like flying buttresses over dry moats -- there would be additional steps leading down to the lower level to gain access to the below-footpath-level premises.


Buchanan St. is a busy pedestrian street.


There are many contrasting buildings on Buchanan St. (and elsewhere) and often the ground floor is a high street shop.


I was fascinated by this decorative building. The shop below just happened to be Laura Ashley.


Though the windows of this build seem plain in comparison to the building above, I liked the top story decoration and the semi circular window and its accompanying arch work.

I didn't look to see what denomination this church represented, just focused on the decoration.



This clock tower is also part of the church.


 There was a lot of carved stone decoration on buildings. This may have been at the entrance to a sports shop.


I think this man may have been on the other side of the sports shop entrance.




No comments:

Post a Comment