Wednesday 17 May 2017

Eternal City - early days yet!

I was in Rome for the second time a few years ago, and did this sketch of the Teatro Marcellus. There was something about it, and I knew it was a foil to my painting that I was working on at the time, Fractured City. So the intention to paint this was always there, the sketch a little kernel for the future.


For Incognito 2017, the fundraiser for the Jack & Jill Foundation, I conceived of three "cityscape" postcards. So  still the painting was on my mind.


I took a printmaking workshop at the beginning of April this year in order to learn the Chine collé technique and quickly did an intaglio from my sketch.


Finally, I unrolled some canvas, quite a large piece (takes up most of the wall in my attic studio) and blocked in Eternal City.


I started to apply metal leaf in the negative areas behind the architectural structures.


I had applied some texture before blocking in the painting, but then decided that I wanted some rougher texture on the older part of the Teatro building.


I will gesso over this scrim burlap and re-block before I get into the meat of painting.


The texture of the columns is mostly smooth rather than canvas.


No comments:

Post a Comment