Wednesday 29 November 2017

Visit to London - part 3

My last day in London was spent at the magnificent British Museum. Well, actually, it wasn't a full day, so a lot of things I didn't have time to revisit (like the section that has a crazy amount of Egyptian sarcophagi). It was just as well that a royal visit was expected in another area that was closed off, as I didn't have time for it anyway!


My favourite parts of the museum include the rooms that have the Celtic, Norse, and Anglo Saxon treasures (especially the items from the Sutton Hoo find). Other favourites are the Assyrian statues and the rooms of relief carvings.


Though the royal lion hunt looks barbaric, the carvings are amazing.


The Assyrians were incredibly adept at portraying lions in agony.


It is interesting that the figures look so emotionally cold while the animals are so lifelike and detailed in their wounded demeanor.


A view of another mural, that had a large amount of cuneiform writing. Perhaps I just missed it, but I was surprised that there was no translation of all the writing (even if just a synopsis of the story).


The "man bags" were an item of curiosity! Apparently they are part of rituals of purification  and/or fertility as magical objects.


Again, it is the detailed lifelike forms of the animals which intrigue me the most.


I also spent a fair bit of time in the money room, which contained a whole history of barter, historical coins, etc. As a long time Dr Who fan, I was drawn to the fake ten pound note that was created for a specific episode; the display also contained a looped video of the relevant scene of that episode/


No comments:

Post a Comment