Wednesday 14 November 2018

Barcelona 2

A few weeks back (though it seems ages ago!), I was in Barcelona. This was my second visit to the beautiful city, but this time I was taking no chances on the Sagrada Familia -- bought my ticket online, well in advance. On my first visit to Barcelona in 2012 the queues to get in the fabulous Gaudi building were huge and daunting, so I just slowly walked around the building viewing its amazing exterior.


This time, though, I was able to see all the interior details. The bronze doors leading in to the church were intricate and fabulous. I love irises.


A Gaudi trademark salamander in bronze.


Gaudi was inspired completely by nature, and the columns within the church were like tall trees in a forest.


The stained glass was incredible and colour-themed for the time of day (i.e. pinks and yellows for dawn; yellows, oranges and greens for midday, etc.)/


A real treat, and worth every penny of the price, was an elevator trip up the Passion Tower (the highest of two visitor accessible towers). One took the elevator up and then walked down - 400 steps - with viewing stops along the way.


As well as being able to see architectural features and construction, 


the city and sea were on show.


"God's Easter Eggs". Gaudi paid attention to every detail - even features that could only be seen by the angels.


 The three dimensional mosaics were just gorgeous.


400 stairs down to exit into the church. There was a rail to hang on to on one side -- I did not look down that's for sure! Frightening, especially to one suffering from vertigo, but I did it with no regrets! I would definitely have regretted NOT seeing this!



No comments:

Post a Comment