Wednesday 4 June 2014

Photography - Women with Attitude

Although most of yesterday was a beautiful day, as I was making my way to the DART train for Dublin it started to rain. In Dublin the rain was horsing down, and by time I made my way through Temple Bar to the Gallery of Photography I was soaked through. I was in Dublin to see the DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology) photography graduate exhibition. More specifically I wanted to see the exhibition of work by Grace Hall, whose final year project was entitled "Women with Attitude" - a project that my Mum, Georgina Whelan, has been participating in these past few months!


As Grace says on her website, "Women with Attitude is a body of work, which celebrates the older woman, her sense of style, and zest for life as she continues to manage the physical challenges that come with the ageing body. Nine women, aged between 60 and 90, took part in this collaborative project in which together with the photographer, they explored not only their sense of style, but also their attitudes towards their clothing, being older, being photographed in a studio setting and having themselves documented in what can be a very unforgiving medium, the photograph". Aged 90, my Mum was the oldest woman on the project. She thoroughly enjoyed taking part in this project - meeting, spending time and having good craic with the other women (only 2 of whom she knew previously). As well as some of the photographs on display, there was also a video, where each woman had a few minutes to comment on the project and photographs. A beautiful full colour book was produced where more of the photos of each woman were displayed. At the launch, my Mum introduced me to some of the other women involved and the photographer, Grace Hall - all of whom exuded pure joie de vivre. A wonderful achievement and memorable work!

No comments:

Post a Comment