Wednesday 9 August 2017

The Key - bound

As I said in last week's post, I have been taking a ceramics workshop on Thursday afternoons at Signal Arts Centre, and had the idea to test the possibility of a ceramic book cover. I made these two piecces as back and front covers of a book with a "stick book" binding.


I decided to make a personal, unique book of key images on handmade paper. so prepared the individual pages for the book before starting any drawings.


On the back inside cover I used PVA glue to affix a strip of paper as an information page.


This shows the covers' relationship to each other prior to inserting the pages.


I wrapped a thinner piece of acid-free rag paper around the pages, holding them together with lion clips before using an awl to create holes.


The covers and pages are ready to put together.


Quite thin garden wire, which is covered with PVA, is threaded through the holes to bind the book.


The book is a sturdy little thing! My name is stamped on the back cover: this was done prior to firing when I first created the cover in clay.


My hand shows the intimate scale of The Key.


The inside back cover gives information details: title, materials, edition, date and signature.



No comments:

Post a Comment