Wednesday 26 February 2020

A Short Walk to Fort Carré - bound print portfolio

Since I decided on the prints and their order (blog post here), I gave myself till the end of February to get the portfolios completed. I had already created the portfolios, from heavy-weight acid-free blotting paper, at the end of my residency at Signal Arts Centre last year. Before binding, I cut pieces  of acid-free tissue paper as interleaves for protection of the print pages.


I scored the margins of the print pages


before affixing the tissue interleaves with Filmoplast, an acid-free tape.


I realised I also needed to score the margins of the portfolios, and mark the spots where the binding holes would be drilled (an awl can be used, but a drill press is faster and less fiddly).


After the holes were drilled small bits of wire were put in place to ensure that the pages would not move during binding.


Japanese stab-binding (full instructions here) is both simple and elegant. I chose a teal cotton embroidery thread (6 strands) to complement the colours of the prints.


Once everything is in place, the binding doesn't take long.


Completed edition of three: A Short Walk to Fort Carré.


No comments:

Post a Comment