Wednesday 13 May 2020

Home Sweet Home Goodbye - chapbook

In a previous post I spoke about founding a press to produce my first chapbook (info here) and in another post I spoke about the card I made my Grandmother in 1969 (info here), which has inspired the title and cover design for this first chapbook of poems. To get a better idea of lino design, I used a black marker to create sketches for the cover design sketches. This allowed me to immediately see what changes I needed to make before proceeding.


In a later sketch I also used a white pen to make contrast more apparent.


To transfer the design onto the lino block, I used the simple, old-fashioned technique involving tracing paper


and graphite.


Once the tracing paper was ready, it was affixed to the lino block using masking tape (ie, the tracing paper was taped down on the other side of the lino block).


This picture shows the ready-for-cutting lino block beside the template sketch.


This picture shows that I have started cutting into the lino! NB the picture was taken at an angle in order to see the groove marks that cutting makes.


No comments:

Post a Comment