Wednesday 16 February 2022

exhibition install day!

A busy start to the week for me, as my exhibition Memory Is My Homeland  opens to the public on Wednesday (Feb 16). The Canadian Ambassador to Ireland, Her Excellency Ms Nancy Smyth is launching the exhibition on Thursday evening. It will be the first launch that Rathfarnham Castle has had over the past two years (because of covid) and will be a small affair, but celebratory. So on Sunday evening everything was wrapped and packed into the car for an early start the next day.


Rathfarnham Castle is an Elizabethan era fortified home 


surrounded by a pleasant park. Although the skies were grey, I was glad that there was no rain to be seen, especially while we unpacked the car.


The false walls had been freshly painted and most were already dry, so work could begin immediately.


As the walls in the dining room weren't completely dry, we started in the saloon.


I was expecting just one other person to assist my husband and I in the hanging, but a fabulous team of OPW carpenters and electricians arrived to carry out the work.


I simply had to place the work where it was be to be hung and talk to the carpenters about placement height and space between works.  Once the work was hung, the electrician adjusted the lighting to my specifications and the painter touched up any areas that had pencil marks.


Everything was done before lunch! Before we left we checked out one of the exhibition signs that had been hung up on the fence between the castle and the carpark. For further information and pictures related to this body of work, do a search on this blog for Memory Is My Homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment