Wednesday 19 July 2023

Martin McCann at Rathfarnham Castle

I had really wanted to see Wabi Sabi: the Beauty of Insignificance, an exhibition of paintings and prints by Martin McCann, but couldn't seem to fit it in to my schedule, so I was so glad that the exhibition was extended and I made it to Rathfarnham Castle on the very final day! I love seeing the very different ways that artists respond to the castle and how their work is set up in the gallery spaces of The Dining Room, The Saloon and The Pistol Loop Room. I discuss my own exhibition there last year in numerous posts, just search this blog for Memory Is My Homeland for virtual tours and the work as it progressed.

I think the work is fabulous but recognise that my pictures don’t do justice to the layering and textures. The largest paintings were in The Dining Room. 


 It was lovely to meet Martin at the Castle too, as he was on hand to talk about the work and answer questions. 


Infirmary Road, mixed media on cradled wood panel, 100 cm square


Martin set up all his midsize/smaller works in The Saloon, which allowed for more intimate looking.


A Not So Distant Shore, mixed media on cradled wood panel, 40 cm square 


Aerial #4, mixed media on cradled wood panel, 28 cm square


As I had done for my exhibition, Martin used the much smaller Pistol Loop Room to display all his prints. Gelli monoprint collages were the ideal medium to complement the layering and textures in McCann's paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment