Wednesday 31 December 2014

On the Cusp of the New Year!

New Year's is always a time for both looking back and looking forward. Mostly I like to look forward, but looking at the frost on the fuschia hedge surrounding my tiny front garden, I can't help but look back. I have been in Ireland for 21 years, and my remembrances of snow at winter time do not include being able to see so much greenery! So even with a sugary layer of frost yesterday morning and the morning before I am well aware of my location.


This fuschia hedge was planted twelve years ago, when we moved to this little house in Bray after the birth of our daughter. The hedge was an amalgamation of numerous types of fuschia - cuttings taken from various garden hedges we came across, hybrid houseplants, and cuttings from the wild fuschia hedgerows from Kerry, where we lived rurally for our first three years in Ireland. The wild Kerry fuschia has overgrown the other, tamer varieties and our hedge is quite large. Our daughter has also grown, starting secondary school this year, and certainly developing into quite the young woman. I look forward into a challenging year ahead for all of us. Happy New Year and all the best for a healthy and safe 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment