Wednesday 17 June 2020

starting the chapbook mock-up

I have been working away at the chapbook, sorting and shortlisting poems, making decisions regarding the cover (a lino print), etc. -- more details are in previous posts, which can be found here. In researching a poetry chapbook format, I realised I must create a mock-up chapbook in order to finalise what goes where! For instance, I need to allocate pages for acknowledgements, contents, press information, author information, interior title page, any blank pages and a page for the edition number with press logo. This will be a 32 page A5 chapbook, so the first thing to do was get 4 sheets of A4 paper and fold them in half (utilising both sides, each A4 page is equal to 4 pages).


Because I plan to do a 3-hole traditional chapbook binding, the folded pages fit inside each other.


The binding will be visible on the exterior and at the centre of the chapbook, where the binding knot will be tied at the interior centre.


The cover, here represented by grey card, is sligtly bigger than A5 as it must wrap around and enclose all the chapbook pages.


This means that the page itself is slightly larger than A4. With this measurement, I can now cut the paper for printing the lino. I am planning to finish the lino block and have the printing of the cover completed in July.


No comments:

Post a Comment