Wednesday 23 January 2019

Art studio drop in!

At the end of last year I found out that Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Arts Office ran an adult art studio drop-in at the fantastic Lexicon (art gallery, library, lecture & workshop space) in Dún Laoghaire. The drop in is every Friday between 11 am and 1 pm, and while facilitated by an artist (one whom I admire, as it turns out - Emma Finucane) artists of all abilities are welcome at the drop-in to avail of as much or as little assistance as required. Since my own studio space won't be up and running for at least another month, I resolved that I would make use of this opportunity for workspace.


As a newbie at the studio drop-in, I wanted to check out what materials were available. There were lovely drawing pencils of all sorts and some good drawing sketch pads. I had brought one of my sketchbooks with me, to work from, and chose some 5B pencils and a few sheets of the toothy drawing paper.


Once I had warmed into my drawing, I decided a quick watercolour of persimmons was in order.


 Although I liked the large soft brushes provided, I resolved to bring my own brushes the following week and planned to do some acrylic sketches.


It had been a rainy, cold morning as I took the train into Dún Laoghaire, so it was appropriate that I dream of the sunny days in Antibes and choose Fort Carré as my subject to focus on.


No comments:

Post a Comment